Saturday, August 25, 2007

2 Month 5 Day Recap!!

Many apologies that I haven't made any entries lately.....it's been a whirlwind summer and I'm not as committed to this as my brother and sisters. Sorry, sorry, sorry......

My sister, Peggy gave me some ideas for posts and I'll just cover them all here:

  • Stefanie is gainfully employed!!......Stef got a part-time job at Applebee's this summer and her tasks include busing and hosting. She likes the people interaction but it didn't take her long to figure out that many people in the work force are quite lazy and will do only enough to get by. She came home and said, "Mom, now I know why you do what you do!" She also recruited two of the servers to become Mary Kay consultants!! Guess she sold my job quite easily.
  • Cabin.....We haven't been back up to our land since the beginning of the summer but we are making plans to go over Labor Day weekend. Scott....the man who can find a diamond in a goat's a**.....found a nice pair of waterskis for only $5....We'll definitely be taking them with us as Stef has taken a liking to the skis and Jake finally tried tubing and doesn't find it to be as scary as he first thought it to be.
  • My friend was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident......One of my dear, dear Mary Kay friends LOVES to ride her custom-painted pink Harley with her husband. They go on several big group rides every summer. In mid-July they were on their way home and a 29 year old woman driving her vehicle crossed over the center line and struck 5 of the 22 Harleys in the group. My friend happened to be one of them and she suffered the most injuries. It really is a miracle that she is alive. The car hit her cycle head on, Jodi's head hit the windshield and literally scalped her from above her eyebrow to the back of her head, she broke her C2 vertebrae and is in a traction halo, she broke her right arm and did severe damage to her pelvic area....they put her back together with pins and screws. She flew 15 feet in the air and came down on the top of her head. She never lost consciousness and suffered no brain injury. When I stood over her bed I really felt I should be standing over her casket, but God, in His infinite wisdom decided it was not yet her time to go home. I would have liked to have heard the dialogue between her guardian angel and God. She was medflighted to UW hospital in Madison, WI and stayed for a couple of weeks and as of this writing she's in a skilled care nursing facility closer to her home in Iowa for intense rehabilitation. She earned her first Top Director luxury trip to Sweden, compliments of Mary Kay, and she, unfortunately won't be able to go. The company will "bank" the trip for her and allow her and her husband to go on next year's trip to Munich Germany.....
  • Am I an Advocate of Helmet Laws? My friend and her Harley buddies never wear helmets......I was always bugging her to wear one. She chose not to....it was her choice. The newspaper article made the distinct point that the cyclists were NOT wearing helmets and said how the woman driving the car was wearing her seat belt and her airbags deployed. Like that really matters....what about the fact that she crossed the center line and was ticketed with inattentive driving? I am certain that if it's your time no helmet will save you. Would I wear one when riding or driving a cycle? YES...Did my husband just sell his motorcycle? YES....Am I thankful? A little bit.
  • MK Convention....At the end of July Scott and I headed to Dallas, TX for our annual convention. Our unit was recognized in the $450,000 Unit Sales Circle. I was proud of them. The message that I heard that hit me the most was: "If you're avoiding disappointment, you end up living disappointed."
  • Joe....Our dog Joe is no longer with us. This morning we decided to put him to sleep. We had been having behavioral issues with him and he was growling quite a bit and even snapped at Scott. We were fearful he might bite someone. Also, he had begun peeing and pooping in the house and he was 12 years old and quite arthritic and going blind. When we took him to the vet's office I wasn't ready for the surge of emotions that came over me. I'm sad....I'll miss him.
  • School started for Stefanie and it starts this week for Jake. Stef's a junior in hs and Jake is in the 7th grade. Stef opted not to go out for cc after much thought and prayer. She wants to focus more on basketball and track...her 2 loves. Football has started for Jake. He's doing great and seems so excited to go to practice. His first game is next Thursday. I'll be sure to post....tune in.
That's it for now.....a recap of the quick summer. Thanks for helping me "blog, blog and get off my log."

5 Comments:

Blogger AnneGero said...

Mary, Thaks for the update. It's high time.
Mom

1:46 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Hey Mom -

You should get off your blog log, too...*lol* Heck you're on vacation....*grin*

Mar-

Thanks so much for blogging. Of course, I was privy to lots of that information as we did communicate. I love our little dialogue....about get off the blog log....it's fun....

Peggy :)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

In loving memory -

Joe (the Black Lab)
1995 to August 25, 2007

"If A Dog Be Well Remembered"
By Ben Hur Lampman
from the Portland Oregonian Sept. 11, 1925

We are thinking now of a retriever, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who,
so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or unworthy thought.

This retriever is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry tree strews petals on the green lawn of his grave.

Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a dog.

Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavored bone, or lifted his head to challenge
some strange intruder.

These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment
more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked, and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze.It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing is lost -if memory lives.

But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all. There is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call - come to you over the grim, dim frontier of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again.

And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel, they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master."

Sleep warm, Joe. May the heather and shamrocks fall peacefully.

You'll be missed by all the Gordons (Fire, Ice, Asti, Twister and Drifter) and Irish Setters (Whisper) at Amethyst.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Million Dollar Mary said...

Hey Peggy....

Thanks for the comments....good thing I had my makeup OFF for the tribute to Joe. He will remain in my heart...I miss him a lot even though it was the right decision to make. I seem to be the one bothered the most by his death..probably because I was the one that talked to him all day even though he didn't answer me...His big brown eyes were always so warm. He was a good dog.

Thanks,
Mary

7:36 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

The rainbow bridge is where Joe has gone....along with all of them that have left my world.

It's not easy to make the decision...but mine always tell me it's time.

If you ever want another one....I have a few that a looking for a couch to live on.....:-)

Love,

Peggy :)

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home