Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Let the Festivities Begin

It almost seems like Christmas is tomorrow and not Thanksgiving. That's because we put all of our Christmas decorations up in preparation for a houseful for Thanksgiving. I know that sounds odd, and yet I just wanted to have ALL the decorations up for Christmas for Thanksgiving. (that really sounded odd). So we have a 9 ft tall tree in the living room, a 6 ft tall tree in the family room, garland and lights adorn the front stairway railing and the fireplace mantel and I just love it. I also was given a candle warmer (it warms and melts the candlewax and the smell permeates your home with no smoke or soot....plus the candles last longer and smell stronger). I have a "pumpkin pie" candle simmering in the warmer and I just LOVE it. Scott is placing the red flood light outside this evening to illuminate the front door with wreath and the front stoop with an antique runner sled......simple, but beautiful.

We have Scott's cousin and husband and 6 children coming this evening. They'll spend the night and head off for other relatives in the morning. We're sort of their pit stop. Their oldest child is 12 and their youngest is 2. Kris and Erik should really do a blog because their family is never without something to blog about. Whenever we go to their home Scott says that is the best form of birth control. We laugh. And then I think to myself how truly blessed is their quiver full of children. I often think what a blessing is my little quiver of 2....sometimes I wish the quiver were fuller (more full....i don't know the correct word....i'm sure someone will let me know...lol).

After Kris and Erik and family head out we'll have about 14 more coming. Scott's 2 brothers and their families, Scott's Mom and Dad, my mom and sister.....it will be interesting.

I read an article in Better Homes and Gardens which labeled family members. It was a riot. You have THE HOLIDAY SQUATTER (the relative who hangs around way too long), THE GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PAST (the family scorekeeper that always dredges up old insults, embarrassments, and disappointments), THE WEIGHT WATCHER (that relative who has lost 30 pounds and is hungry to share all her newfound nutritional knowledge as you fill up your buffet plate), THE TIPPLER (the one who has a few too many alcoholic beverages and loose lips that tells one too many off-color jokes), and THE YULE LOG (that relative that parks their butt in front of the TV and never engages in conversation).....so which one are you?

Have a very blessed Thanksgiving holiday with your familes....we truly have a lot to be grateful for.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Hmmm....how about the "Eat 'n' Run" relative? :-)

Just so you know...holidays are VERY difficult as a single person. Holidays are for families.

It would be so much fun if I could dredge up a date....(now don't get me a plate of Dromedaries....NOR camels...)....but the date thing, that ain't happenin' this year, either...

I often wonder when I will feel like doin' holidays again....but I'll bring my wine and enjoy the noise and hubbub of Turkey Day at the Hang-er Gronholz (see the Hanger Blog)....

7:33 AM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

I'm a Yul Brynner. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera....

Peggy: You are part of a family. It's just that it's the Gronholz-Gero extended family, but you are a part of it. Try to enjoy the goodies and choke on the powdered sugar on the pumpkin pie and fondly think of me....

9:27 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Patiently waiting for the recap.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Just can't wait for your first December post.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt said...

Hey yo...Mar....where's the next installment of the blog?

It is almost Christmas....

I have had a couple in mind for me....but haven't sat down to compose them yet.

Peggy :)

1:14 PM  
Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Hey, Mary:
Christmas is tomorrow. Can't wait to see your next holiday post.
RAA :)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home