Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I'm Back!

Back safely from Dallas, TX....my 15th annual trip went well. Our unit was #78....which is a great place to land, especially since there are about 2800 units in our division alone and about 14000 United States sales units overall. I was mighty proud of my group of woman. And, so many of them, there for the first time, caught the vision of what Mary Kay stands for...the mission to enrich women's lives. Even though Mary Kay, herself, was not present in the arena, I saw my gals, with tears streaming down their faces, catch the dream for themselves and their families. It never ceases to amaze me.

It was difficult for me, though. Especially through the debuts of the new National Sales Directors. A new NSD has a little video montage made and then her whole area of directors graces the stage, along with her family. I kept thinking of Dad and how he'll never get to witness that. I cried from the bottom of my toes.....I didn't think it would be so overwhelming. When I got home and told Mom about it she simply said, "It's okay, Mary...at least your mom will be there when you debut as a National." Now I have a job to do.....

Also, had a doctor's appointment yesterday...still having odd lumps and sensations in my left breast which has brought a lot of anxiety. I was told to wait to have my mammogram until the end of September and I just was getting anxious. One of my offspring directors just had a double masectomy with reconstructive surgery right away and she was urging me to go back before September if I was so anxious about it. So I did. I love my family doctor.....he treats the whole patient and just plain spends time to listen. He checked me out and the lumpiness was gone (cuz back in March they confirmed that they were just fluid-filled cysts). My doctor still believes that with my perimenopause has come the cysts. He said cancer lumps never go away, cysts come and go with menstrual cycles. When, thank goodness, mine come and go with the ebb of my cycle. That's a blessing. I will still have the mammo and perhaps another ultrasound in early September just to confirm that.

While in his office I lost it though. He asked me a question and I just lost it. We talked a lot about the grieving process and he asked if I wanted to talk. I didn't want to keep him from his dozens of patients waiting for him....but that didn't seem to matter to him. So we talked about my dad and he told me that it's okay....that I HAVE to grieve the loss. He said if I wanted anything to help me get through this time that there are anti-depressants to help. I don't want to do that. I told him that. He didn't push it. I was glad.

My best dose of antidepressant medication came in the form of my Mary Kay meeting last night. My commitment called for me to be there, even though I didn't feel like it. And, having to push through the evening was just what the doctor ordered. I got out of myself and got into my people and their guests and I left feeling euphoric.....just what the doctor ordered. I think I've realized that grieving is okay yet doing something great for others is the best anti-depressant anyone could ever take.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Anne Adams said...

Remember the epiphany I had at the feet of Shirley Oppenheimer. Depressed people think of themselves 90% of the time and others 10% of the time. Most normal people, it's 50-50. Mother Theresa-types, it's 90-10 in the other direction. You're not crazy, just a little off balance.

In Mary Kay, Sister, that's what we call "re-entry."

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home